Supplemental Guaranteed Lifetime Income
ERS Retirees can Convert Peach State Reserves funds to Guaranteed Monthly Income
Supplemental Guaranteed Lifetime Income (SGLI)
Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) retirees have the opportunity to use funds in Peach State Reserves (PSR) to purchase a supplemental annuity from ERS.
SGLI provides additional financial security during retirement through lifetime monthly benefit payments.
Effective January 1, 2021, an ERS retiree who has at least $25,000 in pre-tax (non-ROTH) funds in a PSR 401(k) and/or 457 plan may choose to use the PSR funds to purchase a SGLI monthly benefit.
- Must be an ERS retiree who did not elect a Partial Lump Sum Payment (PLOP) at retirement
- Minimum purchase amount = $25,000
- Transfers can only be made from pre-tax, non-Roth PSR 401(k) and 457 plans
- Purchase of annuities can only take place at or after retirement. The purchase must take place before December 31st of the year the retiree reaches 70, or in the calendar year in which the member commences retirement, whichever is later.
- SGLI annuity purchases must be in compliance with the federal Internal Revenue Code and are subject to the federal minimum distribution rules.
- May purchase up to two SGLI annuities during allotted time
- ERS creditable service must be at least 10 years
- Requests must be made through ERS, not PSR
- Cannot purchase a SGLI annuity amount that would cause the sum of the annuity plus the member’s retirement allowance to exceed 90% of their highest month of earnable compensation
- SGLI annuities are not included in post-retirement benefit adjustments
- Your monthly benefit is established at purchase and will not change, even in years of good investment gains or in years of losses.
- Your purchase is final and irrevocable. You cannot cash out or reverse the purchase at any time in the future.
- Depending on your circumstances, annuity purchase rates, and financial market performance, a SGLI purchase might be right for you. Various annuity options are available for purchase outside of the ERS plan, through entities like investment and insurance companies, and could be a better option for your situation.
Need an Estimate?
Contact ERSGA to make your request. You can call and speak with a Customer Care Representative, or send a request to the Customer Care Group.
For More Information